The heroes of the 21st century became its greatest villains. Aberrants walked among the people like gods until they turned on the rest of us and brought the human race to the brink of destruction. In the end, we were forced to issue the Ultimatum: either they left or the destruction would be mutual. So they left, but not before warning all of humanity "Your legacy is our future."
In the aftermath of the Aberrant War, a new world rose from the ashes. Technology advanced by leaps and bounds as the world struggled to pull itself back together. With Earth in ruins, humanity looked to the rest of the Solar System to provide the resources it needed. China moved its economy onto a platinum standard, forming the foundation of a new world economy. Everything started to settle out again.
Then, as promised, the Aberrants returned.
There is hope, though. New heroes are rising, gifted with extraordinary abilities of their own. These psions rise to defend humanity from the prodigal demons. And watching over it all is the Aeon Trinity, a centuries-old organization dedicated to bringing humankind together under one simple credo:
Hope. Sacrifice. Unity.
Psions, the new heroes of humanity, are individuals gifted with extraordinary powers. Initiated through one of the psionic Orders, a human being is triggered to access psionic abilities particular to their order. One is not always closely tied to the order from which one originates; through Trinity and other organizations, Psions work for a variety of people, corporations and governments assisting in a myriad of service, research, and other skilled ways. Additionally, the Orders participate in horse-trading programs among themselves so that each of them have some representation of other abilities within their ranks. Each Order is set up with wildly differing ideologies and structures.
When the psions first revealed themselves to humanity, there were eight psionic Orders; that number has since been reduced to six. The surviving Orders each maintain control over a particular psionic aptitude and are headquartered in a different region.
- The Legions. They are the heroes in blue, universally loved throughout settled space. The Legions are a paramilitary order headquartered in Australia and formed with a singular purpose: to be humanity's front line against the Aberrants. They trigger psychokinetics, individuals who possess the abilities of telekinesis, cryokinesis, and pyrokinesis. They are divided up into seven legions, One through Seven which are respectively: Home Guard, Fortune's Knights (Mercenaries), Support Force One (Mostly non-psychers), Vengeance (somewhat sociopathic Aberrant haters), The Americas, Europe, and Phoenix Squadron (protects human colonies and settled space).
- Orgotek, Headquartered in the New New York Arcology in the FSA, is the world's largest metacorporation, producing everything from computers to cars. Their corporate training campus is not much different than your average college, except with a lot more grounding strips to keep the sparks from flying, given that they train Electrokinetics, or zappers. They control the EM spectrum ranging from the control of electronic impulses, electronic devices and laser and hologram generation.
- The Ministry of Noetic Affairs, or Ministry, are headquartered in China as an official division of the Chinese government. They are telepaths, possessing the gifts of being able to read, transmit and alter the thoughts, memories and emotions of other individuals. There are no emotionally unbalanced individuals among the Ministry, and crime is seen as disease as much as a doctor diagnoses an illness.
- The Nova Fôrça de Nacionales, or Norça for short, are an order of biokinetics also known as shifters. These are psions who can take the appearance of anyone they desire, who can alter and adapt their bodies to survive in any environment, and are nigh impossible to kill. Having grown out of the drug cartels of South America, they still claim the continent as their home. Explaining Norça is simple: Norça is Family. And Family looks out for Family, and looks after Family.
- Interplanetary School of Research and Advancement - or ISRA for short - are the order of clairsentients are based on Luna at Olympus Base. They have abilities relating to sight and knowledge and are natural investigators, projecting their senses beyond what is ordinary. Their visions don't always relate to the past or present, sometimes glimpses of the future as well. They have a sense of knowing that goes beyond what any ordinary person can hope to achieve no matter how much meditation they practice.
- The Æsculapian Order is an international medical network analogous to the Red Cross, headquartered at the Montressor Clinic in Basel, Switzerland in the European Commonwealth. They are generally referred to as vitakinetics and concerns control and alteration of the functions of living beings — from healing, blocking pain, anti-pathogen and body chemical balances.